There comes a point in every girls life where she has to decide what to do with her pubic hair. There are lots of different options and lots of things to consider, such as how a boy might respond (or girl!) and the current trends. With all that in mind here are some different grooming methods. Remember that every girl is different so go with what suits you, rather than what your friends are doing.
Shaving is the most popular way to handle your hair and it’s pretty inexpensive too. Nearly a quarter of all women shave their pubic hair. There are five steps to shaving with a razor; trim, soak, lather, shave and moisturize. Remember that you shouldn’t shave during your period as it makes your skin sensitive. You should also shave in the same direction that the hair is growing and avoid overshaving. A good limit is three strokes in one direction in one region. Start out by shaving once a week until you find a good system for you.
Dos and Don’ts of Shaving Down There
- DO trim the hair using scissors before using a bikini shaver
- DON’T moisturise with a heavy scented lotion. You might want to smell nice but the chemicals in these scents can irritate your skin. Use aloe vera or baby oil instead
- DO take a bath first to soften up the hair
- DON’T shave using just soap. You have to use a shaving cream.
Waxing is another great way to handle your pubic hair, whether you’re doing it at home or the salon. Don’t neglect the fact that hot wax is, well, it’s pretty hot! You can avoid the swelling and pain that comes with waxing by using a pain reliever like aspirin or ibuprofen around half an hour before waxing. Waxing is done whether at home or in the spa; apply hot wax where you need it, put down a strip of cloth, and pull it off; taking the hair with it.
There are a lot of options when it comes to waxing. You can wax yourself using a home waxing kit or book yourself an appointment at a salon. A salon is perhaps the best choice unless you know what you’re doing. It might seem a little embarrassing to show all your bits off to a stranger but keep in mind that the women there have seen all there is to see. There is almost no way that your pubic region could show them something new.
There are also a number of options when you get to the spa. They can do a basic bikini wax that removes the hair outside the panty line, a fuller bikini wax that goes a little further, the French bikini wax, which leaves a little landing strip, all the way to the Brazilian and Hollywood bikini wax. A Brazilian is when all the hair from the pelvic region including your butt is removed and is the way to go if you expect to be wearing a thong bikini. The Hollywood is the most in-depth bikini wax there is. It also takes a lot of work as almost every shred of hair from your front and back, including around your labia and the hair around your butt, is removed. It can take a while and you’ll be asked to lie on your stomach too, so only go for this if you know it’s what you really want.
Do’s and Don’ts of Bikini Waxing
- DO wait until your hair is at least a quarter of an inch long before waxing. That way the hair is removed more effectively, leaving your pubic region cleaner and smoother
- DON’T tan either before or after waxing
- DO wear cotton underwear afterwards. Waxing can leave the area sore and prone to irritation so you need to let it breathe for a while after